I stayed at the hospital my full three days and I really wanted to stay one more! I was super sore and had a hard time walking and even harder time leaning over to pick Natalee up out of her bassinet at the hospital. I wasn't sure how I was going to do it at home! We left around 2 pm and headed over to the Kaiser clinic to pick up a few prescriptions. When we got home, my landlord's wife, Nina brought us down a light dinner (so thoughtful!). We relaxed and I realized how glad I was to be home! Pastor Rice & Patti came over after church and held the baby a little bit. For some strange reason (soon to be discovered) Natalee was fighting nursing. She had nursed once around 5 pm but fought me before finally latching on... and the refused after that. Patti tried swaddling here and rocking her... but nothing seemed to work. We thought maybe she wasj just tired. Johnny was heading back to work Monday (sadly) and I had a dr's appt for Natalee in Salem in the morning, so we headed to bed.
All night long, Natalee wouldn't nurse. I worked with her, and held her. Almost every hour she would wake up in my arms, hungry, and cry, but not eat. I wasn't sure what the problem was! I stayed strong and just worked with her and worked with her... but at 4 am when Johnny came out and asked me if she had eaten, I burst into tears! We called KP and they said to bring her in because she hadn't eaten since 5. We piled into the car, Johnny called in to work, and headed back to Salem, less than 24 hours after leaving!
Well come to find out.... I had applied some Lanisol to my nipples earlier in the day, just as we were leaving the hospital.. and it was expired. Natalee could taste the soured oil and wouldn't latch on. It was a miracle that she did nurse that one time at 5... because it was obvious that she didn't want to!! Thank goodness the nurse figured it out and we didn't get seen at the ER... that would have been a bill we wanted to avoid!
After a long day and a very long night... we went to Dallas and my wonderful MIL watched Natalee while I caught some shut-eye. I was wiped. Then Johnny and I piled in the car and headed back to KP for our Lactation/new mom appt. Then we headed back home grateful that we had a full day of rest ahead of us! (:
Comments