Overheard:
Shy: "We have a new baby! Tell me 'gradulations'"
Natalee: "I'm pregnant!" Shy: "'gradulations!"
In recent conversations:
The girls had me cornered one evening while driving somewhere. They adamantly demanded to know how the baby is going to get out of my tummy. I himm'ed and haw'd for a bit before having a "brilliant" moment of revelation. "The drs are going to cut the baby out of Mommy's tummy", I announced. Genius that I am, I considered how I saved myself from explaining vaginal births for at least the next few years. What I failed to realize, however was the impact the "cut" part might have on my 4 & 3-year-old's brains.
Fast forward a few days. Again, pinned down in the car, Natalee tentatively asks: "Mommy, what will the dr. have in his hand when he cuts you open??!?!"
Good thing I HAVE NO IDEA what that dr. has in his hand since I can't ever see what they're doing down there! I could claim naivety on that one!
Next question from Natalee, "How do they put you back together after they cut you open?"
I don't know where my brain was when I answered this one... "They staple me back together!"
Wow. What was a thinking? This statement was followed by exclamations of "That would hurt!!!" and "You're going to cry, Mommy" etc. etc. My girls were very concerned. To which I calmly explained that I don't feel it at all because they give Mommy really good medicine, and I didn't cry when they took Natalee out of me.
Finally Natalee turns to Shyanne and says, "Shyanne, how did you get out of your birth-mommy's tummy?"
To which Shyanne promptly replied: " I walked out!!!"
Shy: "We have a new baby! Tell me 'gradulations'"
Natalee: "I'm pregnant!" Shy: "'gradulations!"
In recent conversations:
The girls had me cornered one evening while driving somewhere. They adamantly demanded to know how the baby is going to get out of my tummy. I himm'ed and haw'd for a bit before having a "brilliant" moment of revelation. "The drs are going to cut the baby out of Mommy's tummy", I announced. Genius that I am, I considered how I saved myself from explaining vaginal births for at least the next few years. What I failed to realize, however was the impact the "cut" part might have on my 4 & 3-year-old's brains.
Fast forward a few days. Again, pinned down in the car, Natalee tentatively asks: "Mommy, what will the dr. have in his hand when he cuts you open??!?!"
Good thing I HAVE NO IDEA what that dr. has in his hand since I can't ever see what they're doing down there! I could claim naivety on that one!
Next question from Natalee, "How do they put you back together after they cut you open?"
I don't know where my brain was when I answered this one... "They staple me back together!"
Wow. What was a thinking? This statement was followed by exclamations of "That would hurt!!!" and "You're going to cry, Mommy" etc. etc. My girls were very concerned. To which I calmly explained that I don't feel it at all because they give Mommy really good medicine, and I didn't cry when they took Natalee out of me.
Finally Natalee turns to Shyanne and says, "Shyanne, how did you get out of your birth-mommy's tummy?"
To which Shyanne promptly replied: " I walked out!!!"
Maybe I could have kept things a bit simpler!
Just call it pregnancy brain.
Just call it pregnancy brain.
Comments