Skip to main content

Thursday update

It's noon, Thursday.  Not much to add from yesterday's post. Here's our plan for the next few days...

Brock's IV is 10% glucose. Like I said yesterday, they can't go much lower than 4ml/hr because it can have problems making it thru the IV. 

At 4am Brock's blood sugar was 59.  They dropped his IV to 4.0ml/hr. 

At 7am Brock nursed vigorously for 20 minutes. His best length of time nursing yet. 

At 10 am his blood sugar was 69. The pediatrician came in and decided to drop his IV to 5% glucose, and up his Ml/hr to 5.  Basically if you do the math it equals out to dropping his IV another 1.5 ML, but it avoids the possibility of the IV clotting.   Brock nursed FABULOUSLY again at 10. Just much more awake and vigorous.

The plan for the rest of the day is to watch his sugar, and after 2-3 more feedings, TURN THE IV OFF!!!!! and then monitor his sugars for the next day or two.  The Ped. said we might even be able to go home tomorrow PM!!

But then we began discussing working a little before we leave here, to wean him off of the fortifier that we add to his bottle feeding (He bottle feeds after each period of nursing w/ a fortifier that ups his calories from 20 cal/ounce to 24cal/ounce. Which doesn't sound like much but it is a lot for a little baby).  The Ped. agreed that was a good idea, rather than send me home and make me wonder when it's safe to wean him off the fortified.  So we may stay a tad bit longer and work on weaning him off the fortifier.

Overall a glorious report and we are just so very excited to see the end in sight. I am so proud of Brock even tho he didn't really DO anything, I just am so happy that He is maintaining so very well!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is great news and it is a wonderful thing when the end is in sight, praying for you guys and hang in there love the Sapp's .
Heidi said…
what great news!! so glad that Brock's sugars are up and you will get to bring him soon! God is good! Still praying for you guys :) can't wait to see more pics of the little cutie

Popular posts from this blog

REQUEST! If you want to continue reading my blog....

If you read my blog - will you please leave a comment - with your email address? I am considering making my blog private - not because I want it to be private - but just for the privacy of the kiddos. I want to invite anyone and everyone who wants - to read my blog. Whether you know me or just "know" me thru someone else who shared my blog with you. Whether you usually comment, or only lurk. Will you please leave a comment this time? I will leave this post up for a week or two... and then I will change my blog to "by invitation only". If you don't know how to comment... click on the word (comment) at the end of my post and you can either sign in, or if you don't have an account, you can leave an anonymous comment. Either way, leave me your email address so i can send you an invite. If you write your email like this: dnbarton (at) gmail (dot) com then there's no way spammers will get your email from my blog. If you receive my blog via email... you ha...

Photo Contest:

I am thinking of entering some pictures of my girls in an amateur photo contest. Opinions please! Leave a comment - Thanks! These are my options. Please leave a comment w/ the name and which picture you think I should use. CLARIFICATION: Please choose 1 for Hollie, 1 for Shy and 1 for Natalee (: Thanks! Hollie #1 Hollie #2 Shyanne #1 Shyanne #2 Shyanne #3 Shyanne #4 Natalee #1 Natalee #2 unedited Natalee #3 unedited Natalee #4

ooops!

I just realized that those "8 Month" pics I posted a few days ago weren't the 8 month pix.  They were more like one day shy of 7 month pictures... and THESE are the 8 month pictures! ha. o well... not much difference.  My editing was terrible in the 7 month pix - these are unedited, and probably for the best since it's not my strong suite! ha! (isn't this outfit from Nonnie ADORABLE!?) Love, love, love this one:    This is a typical face.  If he's not sucking in his lip, he's spitting and soaking his shirt with drool! (sorry so blurry - just had to remember this face!)