Like the couch? It's the lovely couch in our hospital room where we ended up 4 days after being released from our 10 day-stint there! Tuesday night (July 19) Brock was acting a little off. Initially he was screaming and not even attempting to latch on to nurse. He would scream and scream and scream before finally passing out, only to repeat the scenario an hour or two later. As the evening wore on, he seemed lethargic, difficult to wake up and even when we loaded him in his car seat, he didn't wake up.
We ended up in the ER around 11 pm. They checked his blood sugar and it was below 31. They immediately began to give him glucose orally while they attempted an IV. After 3 attempts (2 in the hand and one on the head), they decided to check his sugar again. He had a bunch of glucose orally, plus he had nursed. Around 12:30 pm, his blood sugar was 84!
We're not sure exactly what happened.... the pediatrician was a little skeptical that his sugar could have risen so quickly. I think it was a miracle. My pastor, his wife, my mom, Johnny and I were all praying.
They decided to admit us one again to monitor Brock's sugar. It dipped to 45 in the night - but after that, climbed steadily above 60 where it stayed for the next 24+ hours. We were ready to go home!
The Ped. put a plan in place in the event that Brock's sugar dips again. They also sent me home w/ a glucometer to check his sugar any time he seemed symptomatic. I am happy to report at 3 1/2 weeks old, Brock hasn't displayed any signs of low sugar again. The only time I checked him in the past week and a half, his number was 76! Praise God I believe he is well and recovered!

Comments