Skip to main content

1 year anniversary

It's 11:07 and I told myself I can not go to bed tonight with out sitting down and putting my thoughts and feelings into writing.

A year ago today I received the call. Johnny and I were so excited. He in Arizona. I here. We had had many-a-call in the previous months that didn't work out for whatever reason - this looked like it was going to work! When I arrived at DHS in Salem, 2 caseworkers walked out into the waiting room holding my two girls. Shy smiled shyly - Hollie didn't really seem to know what was going on. The case worker walked me to the car, helped me load the girls, and told me to drive around back to pick up a box of their stuff.

Two quiet little girls in my back seat. Two girls I knew nothing about. Being ripped for the second time, from the only family they knew. It breaks my heart just typing it. Placed in a car with a perfect stranger.

I drove around back and loaded my car w/ their boxes of belonging. A few clothes, fifty-million sippies, a scattering of toys.

How do you pack a box of toys and give your grandbabies away? I don't know.

As we finished loading, the grandmother walked over. Matter-of-factly she announced that she had their carseats if I wanted them, and 8 more boxes of their belongings. [8!!?!?? We still lived in a tiny 2-bedroom apt. I didn't know where we were going to put the girls... let alone their belongings!]. I said I'd love to have the carseats. She informed me of Hollie's allergies, asthma, etc. Said Shy could throw a humdinger of a fit... and walked away. She walked away. Not a tear. Didn't look back. And she was gone.

Granted I don't know what she did when she was alone... but I think about my babies now.... and you would have to pry them out of my arms... and I'd be kicking and screaming all the way to jail probably - fighting every person who tried to take them from me.

Soon I was on the road. Me and two little helpless babies who's world had just been turned upside down. I think we always seem view the story from our side: Our world was turned upside down. My life was complicated 3-fold. My sleep was compromised. My patience was worn out. Our parenting skills were tested to the limit. But what about them!?

New world. New home. New rules. New bed. New toys (that were really not even theirs). New sibling. New smells. New sounds. New everything. New strategies. New boundaries.

Wouldn't you scream?? I think I might. Especially if I was 1 or 2 years old.

Little little Hollie May. So oblivious in many ways. We're still not sure how these moves have entirely impacted her. Ignorance is bliss, at least for now.

But o, my poor baby, Shy. What she must've gone through inside her head. Her sweet voice that could not express emotions. Her sweet heart that could not verbalize that is was breaking. That it was so very confused by the new world she had been thrust into.

Days turned into weeks and so much of her adjusted. So much. Soon I was Mommy. Soon Johnny was Daddy. Kailee and Robert received the titles of "my new Mommy, my new Daddy" (which I guess meant "old", or "previous"). Shy learned about our love, our Jesus, our protection. She learned about our rules, or boundaries, and that we meant what we said. But somewhere along the way, her emotions dragged their feet. They didn't come along. They didn't adjust quite as well. Her emotions were still reeling from insanely huge life changes.

And I think to some degree, they still are.

But o she has come such a long, long way. Before you are quick to judge her spit-fire temperament, remember. Remember where she came from. And please just love her. Just love my baby girl. There really is so much good in her. So much sweet love that she wants to give. She needs to be loved unconditionally, so that she can grow and blossom into the precious young woman God wants her to be.

My heart's cry, on this one year anniversary, is that people would take a moment, and love my girls. Look past their flaws, temperaments, and short-comings... to the sweet babies that they are... and simply love them.

Comments

Hannah said…
This is beautiful, Danielle. You are beautiful and your kids are beautiful. Thank you for posting. Those kids have been through so much in their short lives, and they are such a blessing. I am so glad to know your precious family. I love you guys.
Leslie said…
They are so blessed to have you and Johhny in their lives! The gifts you have given these two little girls are amazing! You guys make wonderful parents and I'm so glad Kyah gets to have you in her life as well!
Keri Jo said…
Thanks for the blog invite. I had to read it from the beginning to understand all you've been through. It was kind of like reading a Bible story where we can just read the end result, but they (Joshua, Ester, etc...) didn't know what the outcome would be at that moment in their lives just like we don't. But I see God's hand through this whole thing as I was reading! I could already see/feel how much you love them from your other blog. You guys are amazing! I will be praying now that I know what's going on!
Anonymous said…
Well daughter I cried with you reading this post. Wow does not seem possible that a year has come and gone.We will never know on t his side of eternity what little Shy and Hollie have been rescued and spared from. Loving these girls have not been a burden whatsoever. they are a gift to this family. The day they accept Jesus into their little hearts will validate every minute of the insanity, uncertainty, the feelings of inadequacy. You and Johnny have taken on an enormous role but you serve an enormous God who will equip you and fill in all the gaps as you raise them to live for Jesus. Not everyone will understand, how can they?? I broke down at Camp Kiwanis during the song HOw can anyone ever tell you you are anything less than beautiful How can anyone ever tell you you are less than whole, How can anyone fail to notice that loving you is a mirace and you are...connected to my soul.... then there was the walk to the pond to say good night and launch the ships of hope. Like every single time ...I break down to see all those campers, such a hurt part of humanity, Crooked bodies, partial limbs, slurred speech no speech, and I also say to the world please love them. Look beyond their flaws and their imperfection and truly your lives will be changed forever. I am so blessed that my children have that ability and sensitivity, and that my grandchildren will inherit that also. Thank you for giving us Shyanne and Hollie. P.S. Thank you for giving us Natalee too:)
Love Nonnie
Patti said…
Dnielle, you are my hero for taking those girls in and loving them sacrificially the way you have- giving up that special "one-on-one" time with Natalee so you could be a Mommy of three. We are so very proud of you and Johnny and how much you have done to rescue these girls. Sam and I fell in love with them from the start, and I can't imagine them with anybody but you. Looking forward SO much to seeing your girls grow up in the kingdom of God...what a blessing of a lifetime that God has placed them with you.
Love you to pieces!! ox
Rainey said…
Awww Danielle you are so Nice! I love Hollie and Shy and I cant wait to see them again soon :D Destiny
TheFoleyFive said…
holy cow danielle...excuse me while I sob my eyes out. What a heartbreakingly honest, sweet, unbelievably kind post. Who couldn't love those little ones?! I've so considered foster parenting, because I sometimes think, even if I only have them for a week, a month, a day, maybe I can make them feel so safe and loved for atleast that one moment in life. And look at you, changing their lives forever, WHAT inheritance, WHAT blessing, WHAT joy these two little lives have just been birthed into; unbenounced to them. This post was so stirring...well said and well done. bravo danielle and johnny...bravo.

Popular posts from this blog

REQUEST! If you want to continue reading my blog....

If you read my blog - will you please leave a comment - with your email address? I am considering making my blog private - not because I want it to be private - but just for the privacy of the kiddos. I want to invite anyone and everyone who wants - to read my blog. Whether you know me or just "know" me thru someone else who shared my blog with you. Whether you usually comment, or only lurk. Will you please leave a comment this time? I will leave this post up for a week or two... and then I will change my blog to "by invitation only". If you don't know how to comment... click on the word (comment) at the end of my post and you can either sign in, or if you don't have an account, you can leave an anonymous comment. Either way, leave me your email address so i can send you an invite. If you write your email like this: dnbarton (at) gmail (dot) com then there's no way spammers will get your email from my blog. If you receive my blog via email... you ha...

Photo Contest:

I am thinking of entering some pictures of my girls in an amateur photo contest. Opinions please! Leave a comment - Thanks! These are my options. Please leave a comment w/ the name and which picture you think I should use. CLARIFICATION: Please choose 1 for Hollie, 1 for Shy and 1 for Natalee (: Thanks! Hollie #1 Hollie #2 Shyanne #1 Shyanne #2 Shyanne #3 Shyanne #4 Natalee #1 Natalee #2 unedited Natalee #3 unedited Natalee #4

ooops!

I just realized that those "8 Month" pics I posted a few days ago weren't the 8 month pix.  They were more like one day shy of 7 month pictures... and THESE are the 8 month pictures! ha. o well... not much difference.  My editing was terrible in the 7 month pix - these are unedited, and probably for the best since it's not my strong suite! ha! (isn't this outfit from Nonnie ADORABLE!?) Love, love, love this one:    This is a typical face.  If he's not sucking in his lip, he's spitting and soaking his shirt with drool! (sorry so blurry - just had to remember this face!)